Mississippi Vehicle registration and renewal

How soon after I purchase my new car do I need to get a tag?

For Mississippi residents, the vehicle must be registered within 7 working days of the date of purchase.

If I move to Mississippi, how long do I have before I have to get a Mississippi tag?

Persons moving into Mississippi have 30 days in which to register their vehicles with Mississippi if they have a current registration from the state they have moved from.  If they do not have a current registration they shall be liable for the full annual tax, plus, penalty.

How much will my car tag cost? In Mississippi, you pay privilege tax, registration fees, ad valorem taxes and possibly sales or use tax when you tag your vehicle. Registration fees are $8.75 for renewals and $10.00 for first time registrations. All the other taxes are based on what type of vehicle, the value of the vehicle and where you register the vehicle. The best answer is to contact your local county tax collector.

Where do I register my vehicle?

For motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 10,000 lbs or less, register their vehicles and receive their tags from the local county tax collector's office where the vehicle is garaged or domiciled. For motor vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of over 10,000 lbs and which travels in Mississippi only, register in the local county tax collector's office and receive their tags from the State Office. For motor vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of over 10,000 lbs and which travels across state boundaries, register at the State Office in Clinton, Mississippi.

Does Mississippi have a temporary tag for passenger vehicles or drive out tags?

Mississippi does have a temporary drive out tag which can be purchased from the dealer who sold the car.  The tag is valid for 7 working days from the date of purchase.  

Does the tag stay with the vehicle or the owner?

In Mississippi, the tag is issued to both the vehicle and the owner. If one or the other changes, the tag must be removed and surrendered to the issuing authority.

Can I get a refund on my tag if I move out of Mississippi?

Mississippi law does not provide for refunds when an individual moves.

Can I get a refund on my tag if I sell my car? Mississippi law does not provide for a cash refund when a vehicle is sold, but it does provide for a credit to be used against the purchase of another tag.  The tag from the car that was sold has to be turned in.  Credit is given from the first of the next month following the date of surrender.  A credit certificate can be given if not purchasing a new tag the same month.  Credit can only be given from the time the tag is turned in not from when the vehicle was sold. 

Does Mississippi have compulsory motor vehicle liability insurance?

Yes, but this is not enforced through vehicle registration.  Every motor vehicle operated in this state shall have an insurance card maintained in the vehicle as proof of liability insurance that is in compliance with the liability limits required.  The insured party is responsible for maintaining the insurance card in each vehicle.  Upon stopping a motor vehicle for any other statutory violation, a law enforcement officer, who is authorized to issue traffic citations, shall verify that the insurance card is in the motor vehicle.

or you may renew at your Mississippi DMV Offices at /dmv/Mississippi-DMV.html

We are not associated with any State Government website. Some information on this page is collected from each State's web site.

Top Auto Insurance Provider