Collision car insurance is a type of coverage that helps pay for the repair or replacement of your own vehicle if it’s damaged in a collision, regardless of who is at fault. It primarily focuses on covering damages to your own vehicle.

Uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage is designed to protect you when you are involved in an accident with a driver who either does not have insurance (uninsured) or has insurance coverage that is insufficient to fully cover your damages (underinsured).

What is the difference between the two coverages?

While collision car insurance covers damages to your own vehicle, uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage focuses on protecting you as the policyholder. These coverages can help pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and other damages resulting from an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver.

Collision car insurance is typically not designed to cover bodily injury or property damage caused by other drivers. That’s where uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage comes into play.

Can we combine the collision and uninsured and underinsured coverage?

It’s worth noting that collision car insurance and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage are separate coverages that can be purchased individually or together. Combining these coverages can provide comprehensive protection for both your vehicle and yourself in case of an accident.


To understand the specific details and limitations of your coverage, review your policy documents or consult with your insurance provider. They can provide you with the necessary information about the coverage options available and help you determine the appropriate levels of protection based on your needs and budget.

Remember, insurance policies can vary, so it’s important to carefully review and understand your policy to ensure you have the desired coverage in the event of an accident involving uninsured or underinsured motorists.

About the Author: CompuQuotes Editorial
Get smart about saving money on insurance