Table of contents

Yes, you can typically add gap insurance to your existing car insurance policy. Gap insurance is designed to cover the difference between what you owe on your car loan or lease and the actual cash value of your vehicle in the event of a total loss. It is helpful if you owe more on your car than it’s worth or have a long-term loan.

To add gap insurance to your policy, you’ll need to contact your insurance provider and inquire about their gap insurance coverage options. They will be able to provide you with more information on the cost and specific details of the coverage. Not all insurance companies offer gap insurance, so you may need to shop around or consider alternative options if your provider doesn’t offer gap insurance.

Adding gap insurance to your existing policy can provide additional financial protection and peace of mind, particularly if you have a loan or lease on your vehicle. 

Final thoughts

When considering adding gap insurance, it’s important to understand the coverage limits, including any limitations, deductibles, or exclusions that may apply. It’s also worth comparing prices and coverage options from different insurance providers to make sure you’re getting the best deal and the right coverage for your needs.

About the Author: CompuQuotes Editorial
Get smart about saving money on insurance