Table of contents

Non-owner car insurance primarily offers liability coverage, which covers damages and injuries you cause to others while driving a borrowed or rented vehicle. However, it typically does not include comprehensive or collision insurance, which are often bundled together as full coverage.

Understanding comprehensive and collision insurance

Comprehensive insurance helps cover non-collision damages, such as theft, vandalism, or weather-related damages. On the other hand, collision insurance provides coverage for damages to your vehicle resulting from an accident, regardless of fault.

Obtaining comprehensive coverage

If you want coverage for theft, vandalism, or other non-collision incidents, consider the following options:

  • Rental car insurance: If you frequently rent cars, purchasing rental car insurance may provide comprehensive coverage, including protection against theft and vandalism.
  • Adding coverage to the car owner’s policy: If you regularly borrow a specific vehicle, discuss with the car owner the possibility of adding comprehensive coverage to their policy.

Make sure to consult with your insurance provider to understand your options and ensure you have the appropriate coverage for your needs.

About the Author: CompuQuotes Editorial
Get smart about saving money on insurance